[StBernard] electrical permits to JLY

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 15 23:28:48 EDT 2006

Just remember that the price of copper is outrageous at the moment. Be sure
to ask how long they will honor a quote.

Also, some people may take this opportunity to add additional outlets in
comparison to what they had before the storm. Personally, I would probably
make sure I had at least one outlet on every wall in a bedroom, if it was a
kid's room maybe two outlets (power strips are nice, but that's just more
cord laying around), kitchen counter would have an outlet every 2-3 feet, TV
area would gain extra, as well as any place I would think of possibly
placing a computer or other electronics.

Also, while the walls are exposed, I would also have the electrician run RG6
cable for TV's and a CAT3 and CAT5 (could be 2 CAT5's because of pricing)
for telephone and computer into every room and possibly multiple walls in
bedrooms/studies to maximize flexibility in furniture layout down the road.

All of that adds up (CAT5 is running $ .17/foot retail), but once it is in,
you should be set for quite a while.

I'm not a fan of wireless for networking or phones, at least not with
typical residential equipment. I don't know too many people willing to
spend $600+ on a good wireless access point for data, and that's if one will
be enough to cover the entire house.

Westley