[StBernard] Fr. Maestri

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 17 22:02:40 EDT 2006

The less Fr. Maestri makes public comments the better. He seems to have a
knack for pushing people's buttons. His recent quote in the TP article about
SBP schools referenced something to the effect that perhaps the Arch. will
consider starting another Catholic high in SBP, since the second floor of
St. Louise wasn't damaged, and the population is coming back.

If I knew he would read it, I'd write him an email saying that I know for a
fact how instrumental he was in giving HHS two choices-fold or more to
affluent Northshore where there was a growing population wanting a Catholic
high school because Arch leaders thought SBP was a lost cause. And now that
HHS the institution, HHS' reserve funds, and HHS' spirit that took 20 years
to build, primarily with the hard work and donations of the people of SBP,
he suggests that we start all over from scratch? There were families in the
1960s and 70s who pledged money for a Catholic high school that didn't come
about until 1986 and then anothe 20 years to nuture it.

Of course, I'd rather see HHS live on, no matter where. But to insinuate
that the second floor of a flooded building is good enough for our community
just ten months AFTER the Arch. leaders give up on SBP and to divert HHS and
its remaining assets,and its share of FEMA and insurance money away from SBP
is adding salt to the wound.

Where would Catholic education in America be if Maestri had been in charge
of spreading the Church in the New World? The Ursulines, Jesuits, Mother
Cabrini, Mother Elizabeth Seton, etc. did not abandon the mission when they
saw the risk, the hazards, the wars, the uncertainity, the epidemics, etc.
of New Orleans and cities like it during times that were much worse than a
hurricane.

Maestri and the Arch leaders decided before Thanksgiving to send HHS to
Goodbee. Pretty fast decision that SBP was not going to recover, yet the
Arch did financially support St. Aug, St. Mary's, and other inner city
Catholic schools not even owned by the Arch because as Maestri alluded to,
those children needed inspiration in their time of greatest needs. Gentilly
is no better recovered than SBP, not then and not even today.

Frankly, I would prefer if we Catholics in SBP poured our resources (time,
talent, treasurers) into our existing churchs and all existing schools.
Remember what the Arch giveth the Arch can take away and a high school not
linked to a church parish is too easily taken away.

I know many of you reading this, whether Catholic or not, supported all our
high schools, including HHS. I also realize that some of you are on the
Northshore and will benefit from the relocated HHS. I wish HHS nothing but
success for the sake of the alumni and continuing the legacy. But some of us
in the HHS family are still grieving about our loss and your gain.

Likewise, I feel for those SBP Holy Cross families, although it will be only
a few miles farther away and could be in a more centralized location that
helps the school sustain itself for generations to come. At least the
brothers didn't move HC a 90 minute drive away. Just remember the
Redeemer-Seton families that lost their high school and the nearby church
parish,too, that will be dissolved so that Fr. Maestri could offer the
property for sale to the HC brothers.

ddk