[StBernard] Caravan leaves Chalmette, on way to Washington, DC

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 18 22:28:14 EDT 2006

Caravan leaves Chalmette, on way to Washington, DC

Against a backdrop of high fives, pats on the back and high school band
members playing the theme from "Rocky,'' a caravan left Chalmette this
morning on a journey to the nation's capital to bring attention to the
plight of Hurricane Katrina victims.

Rockey Vaccarella of Meraux is towing an "honorary'' FEMA trailer to
Washington, D.C., where he says he will try to dine with President Bush.

"This isn't negative,'' Vaccarella said as the caravan prepared to leave. "I
want to thank him. But I also want to tell him please don't forget about us
- the job's not done.''

Vaccarella, who now lives in a FEMA trailer outside his flooded home, knows
that might be un uphill battle, but, he said, "We'll do the best we can.''

The caravan includes several vehicles, a couple of motorcycles and a trailer
Vaccarella borrowed from a friend. He said federal regulations prevented him
from towing an actual FEMA trailer.