[StBernard] Question for Craig

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Aug 20 21:48:52 EDT 2006

mj,

I don't think you get less money if you relocate in another place in
Louisiana rather than your same location you lived at before. You get the
same amount of money from LRA if you remodel your existing house or if you
relocate to a place in Louisiana. I don't think you can get anything if you
want to move out of state. LRA is only for rebuilding Louisiana. It would
be in your best interest to have under 50% damage documented if you want to
remodel your exisiting house without having to raise it. You can get this is
the form of an engineer's report, just tell him what you are trying to do.
I have the name and number of an engineer that did ours for $150, if you
want it. Then you have to get an electrical permit. But you need the under
50% documentation first before you get the permit. This is only if the
parish assessment has your property over 50%; the ambiguous 30%-60% or the
60%-100%. If you lived in a flood zone, like zone A, and didn't have any
flood insuance, they will penalize you 30% of the money avalible to you.
If you didn't have flood insurance but lived in zone B where insurance in
not required because it's not a fllood zone, I don't think they penalize you
the 30%. They will also deduct any insurance money you got from your
company. Hopefully your damage is over $150,000 and when they deduct your
insurance you may still get the max, depending on how generous they are with
calculating your pre-Katrina value. If you want to relocate, I'm not sure
that the percent of damage matters as long as the damage is severe, that
would cover most of St. Bernard. If I'm wrong about any of this, please
correct me someone, but this is my best understanding of how it works.

Laurie