[StBernard] A Tale of Three Engineering Reports

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 25 22:58:46 EDT 2006

A Tale of Three Engineering Reports
August 25, 2006 12:52 PM

Joseph Rhee Reports:

Mississippi Gulf Coast resident Minh Nguyen was devastated to learn that
State Farm would not pay her claim after her home was destroyed by Hurricane
Katrina. An engineering report commissioned by the company had found the
damage was caused by water, which was not covered by her insurance policy.

Nguyen was shocked when, along with her denial letter, State Farm mistakenly
sent her three engineering reports in the mail. The first two reports had
concluded the damage to her home was caused by wind, which is covered in her
policy; the third report was the only one that said water damage was to
blame. According to Nguyen, "They tried to cheat me. They tried to cheat
me right here."

An attorney hired by State Farm, Wayne Drinkwater, said the company looked
into Nguyen's case and was prepared to offer her more money. "We were
calling her and wanting to talk to her because we did think that more was
indicated," he said.

However, Drinkwater said State Farm discontinued its attempts after it
discovered Nguyen had hired an attorney. She is now suing State Farm, along
with hundreds of other homeowners who allege that the company deliberately
defrauded them in order to avoid paying claims.