[StBernard] Who NOT to vote for

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Aug 27 11:48:16 EDT 2006

The AFL-CIO has just released their endorsements for the Sep. 30 election.
It is tipped me over for the races in which I was still on the fence. Just
look at the endorsement for U.S. Congress in New Orleans.

La. AFL-CIO backs Heitmeier, Cain
The Louisiana AFL-CIO has endorsed state Sen. Francis Heitmeier for
secretary of state and state Sen. James David Cain for insurance
commissioner in the Sept. 30 primary.

"We have dealt with Mr. Heitmeier (D-New Orleans) for years in the
Legislature," said state AFL-CIO President Louis Reine. "We think we have a
commitment from him that he will protect the voting rights of working
people."

Meanwhile, Cain, R-Dry Creek, "has for years demonstrated an understanding
and support for working men and women. We expect he would carry that on in
(the Department of Insurance)," Reine said.

The labor federation, representing 120,000 union members, also endorsed
Democratic U.S. Reps. William Jefferson, D-New Orleans, and Charlie
Melancon, D-Napoleonville, for re-election in the Nov. 7 congressional
election.

The state AFL-CIO made no recommendations in the five other congressional
races, leaving local labor councils free to make endorsements if they wish,
Reine said.