[StBernard] Ode to St. Bernard

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 29 21:51:46 EDT 2006

Ode to St. Bernard

On a bright and sunny Friday morning everyone was going to work and play.

School started just the other day,

students wondering in and out of class,

hoping the day would soon be pass.

Bedtime came and all was well

Saturday started with a warring bell.

Katrina with a mind of her own decided it

would come to destroy our home.

People hoping and praying that she would go another way

most left but others opted to stay.

The wrath of history would be made, on August 29th Katrina

had her way.

Others came and gone but this one was a terrific thorn,

she ramped and raved and flood our homes, leaving a

mess beyond belief.

Lives were loss and homes destroyed, under raging water so deep

when we returned it gave us the creeps. Looking like war had its way, everything was dull and gray.

It’s been a year and still we are in a slum, many of us have gone away, because

home isn’t home. What we knew is long since past, hoping the future will be brighter and storms won’t pass, we don’t need another Katrina’s wrath.

Coming home again may be in our future, but for now we will have to be

in another place, until the wrath of what once was is again. Go away storms; leave our beloved St. Bernard alone, recovery is a hard thing to overcome. Long hours of work and still it is a mess, but we know our town is blessed. The churches and schools are coming back, it won’t be long before our heritage is known around the world for our little community is like a blooming bud, it will be a rose, that will win it’s place in history.

Many of us have moved away, no jobs, no place to stay, no matter where we are, we are true

of heart, we miss our community, and will return one day.

God love our community, help us to keep it safe. There is no place like St. Bernard.

Dianne Henrie

8/29/2006