[StBernard] 1st annual day of reflection

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 29 22:12:11 EDT 2006

Let me be one of the first to say what a beautiful, moving, first-class
event the School Board sponsored today at Chalmette High School. I know
from experience that something this big, especially in a post-Katrina world,
doesn't come easily. It was well-organized; the food prepared by the
cafeteria workers could rival any hotel breakfast affair; the service by the
students and the outstanding program made this one of the finest communiity
events in St. Bernard in my 35 years of living here.

The audience of over 350 people included local, state, and national elected
officials, as well as business and civic leaders from outside the parish who
may not know or understand what makes us special. Senator Landrieu's remarks
brought her to tears, and us, as well. Representative Melancon said it was
hard to follow the outstanding student performances and Sen. Landrieu. He
brought several important congresspeople with him to the event.

The video presentations, the inspirational songs performed by the high
school students, and the student's tributes to their many Katrina hereos was
something that I wish will be broadcast to the public.

Thank you to all those who made our community a shining light in the wake of
Katrina recovery today.

Deborah Keller