[StBernard] Katrina Emails

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 29 22:52:11 EDT 2006

It's been a long year since Katrina hit.

Looking at old emails, it looks like I sent my first "post-Katrina" email on
August 30 around 1:30 PM.

It was a simple email to the members of the St. Mark Marksmen giving details
of three families and looking for anyone else.

That list, combined with the Kiwanis Club of St. Bernard-Arabi, St. Mark
School Co-op, and Senator Walter Boasso's Advisory Committee were combined
together about a week later on Sep. 9. From this merger of a hundred email
addresses or so, it's grown to 650 members and we've had 9,909 emails flow
through our inboxes, for an average of 27 emails a day.

As with any family, there have squabbles here and there, but on the whole, I
think we've managed to keep a part of St. Bernard with us no matter where we
ended up.

A good way of looking at all of this, St. Bernard was God's seed bed.
That's where he was raising good people to spread out to others. It took
Katrina to spread us, but how many other places are better now that they
have a former St. Bernard resident? And it doesn't matter where you go, for
only 67,000 people, you can't help but run into a St. Bernard resident in
your travels, whether they were Arabians, Chalmettians, Violations, or "down
the roaders".

Westley