[StBernard] Apply Now for The Road Home Program

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 5 20:11:37 EDT 2006

VIB,

A hazard mitigation buy-out is when government officials decide that a
property is prone to flooding and should no longer be used as a housing or
business structure. Since they cannot simply take the land away from you,
they buy the property from you and turn it into green space (any piece of
land that does not have any type of construction on it).

Westley

***THIS, our good friend, by definition is representative of th 99.5% of
property which was "water-logged" in St. Bernard parish. How is it that
being flood-prone is not representative of but the .5% that will get "lucky"
with mitigation, buyouts and the help needed in the grand scheme of things?
We ALL were devestated by flood, so we all should be able to take part in
mitigation and buyouts if we wish to accept. Those who wish to stay and
battle the next round of flooding should be able to do so at their own risk
in what we deem "flood prone/disaster prone" St. Bernard Parish.

Mitigation for those rental units next to canals? Sure, those who are next
to the 40 arpent deserve that opportunity, but in a definitive moment of
though, 75% should be green space if normal people now choose unnormal times
to resume lifestyles of the hopeful and wishful. Life sucks and we oft are
made aware of this by demands and deadlines coupled with mismanagement and
ineptitude. Well, anyhow: One year down and nine to go to complete recovery.

--jer--