[StBernard] St. Bernard clears the way for recovery

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 11 21:27:32 EDT 2006

I applaud the parish leaders for taking a firm stand relative to blighted
property. Although it may be hard emotionally, especially on our elderly
citizens, there has been significantly more clean-up activity throughout the
parish since the original announcement last month. There are any number of
excuses that could be given, but with camcorders, digital cameras and the
like, anyone can take pictures and bring witnesses if they so desire, as
ammunition for potential litigation. In the meantime, the parish looks
cleaner, the spread of rodents and disease is being reduced, and residents
are feeling more positive about their decisions to return, while others have
more facts to enable them to make their best decision.

There is no right or wrong decision as to whether to rebuild in St. Bernard
or relocate. The decision to be courteous of your neighbors (or former
neighbors) should be enough encouragement to at least clean-up and maintain
your property. I only hope that our parish leaders don't back down because
of a small minority that believe as Mr. Dean does - that it is your property
and what you do or don't do with it is your business.

Let's stay the course and remind those returning that debris surfacing from
rebuilding will NOT be picked up by URG, and that it is the owners
responsibility to have their contractor remove such debris, bring the debris
to the dump, or rent a dumpster to house the new debris. I have found the
parish garbage collectors to be quite thorough in removing garbage twice
weekly, provided that it is in either bags or a garbage can, so there is no
reason to toss garbage on the neutral grounds or mix it in with storm
related debris, which only provides food for rodents.

Best wishes to all - St. Bernard is really starting to show its true
potential.

JFR