[StBernard] Louisiana Leaders Announce Housing Program for New Orleans Teachers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 13 21:04:39 EDT 2006

Louisiana Leaders Announce Housing Program for New Orleans Teachers

Program to Provide 250 Furnished Housing Units

NEW ORLEANS, La. (September 13, 2006) - New Orleans teachers will be offered 250 two-bedroom, fully furnished rent-free modular housing units, in accordance with a joint effort announced today by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, the Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA), the City of New Orleans and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

"There has never been a better time for the best and brightest teachers to return to New Orleans," said Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco. "The city is full of hope and optimism as we continue our monumental recovery. We are doing everything in our power to provide affordable housing so good teachers can return to the classroom, where New Orleans children need them most."

The modular housing units will be installed on Recovery School District (RSD) and Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) properties in New Orleans to be used primarily by public school teachers within RSD, OPSB, and area charter schools. In order to be eligible, educators must meet the requirements for FEMA's "Individual Assistance" (IA) program and possess a valid FEMA registration number. Approximately ninety percent of all teachers and applicants to RSD, OPSB, and charter school teaching positions are IA eligible, meaning they were a resident of a storm-impacted parish prior to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"Today's announcement shows our commitment to helping displaced teachers find their way home and encouraging others around the country to take a chance and join us," said Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education President and LRA Board Member Linda Johnson. "We want them to hear us loud and clear - they will be welcomed with open arms."

In New Orleans, there is a need for highly specialized teachers for the coming school year. Especially needed are certified high school math, science, foreign language and special education teachers. New and displaced teachers are encouraged to apply. Teaching applicants in K-12 schools in Louisiana who are certified in another state can teach in Louisiana with an "out of state certification," which is valid for three years.

Specific subject areas that have the highest teacher demand include:

* Special education teachers, all grades;
* High school math and science teachers;
* High school foreign language teachers.

Each unit, donated by FEMA, can withstand up to 185 MPH winds. FEMA has already performed cursory site assessments and approved 14 installation sites for potential use. Design and installation of these units will begin this month and is expected to be completed, at the earliest, by the end of November.

"We are committed to the recovery of the State and the City of New Orleans," said Gil Jamieson, FEMA's Deputy Director for Gulf Coast Recovery. "We have provided funding to rebuild schools here and all along the Gulf Coast, and I am pleased that through this initiative we are also helping to get teachers back in the classrooms."

The total cost of this project is more than $14 million, all of which is covered by FEMA.

According to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), rent for a one-bedroom apartment in New Orleans has doubled since this time last year. The regional housing shortage and high rental rates have become have become significant hindrances on teachers in New Orleans.

Eligible teachers interested in registering to receive a housing unit are encouraged to call the Louisiana Department of Education at 1-800-471-0869 and leave their first and last name, school of employment, phone number, mailing address, email address, number of household members and FEMA registration number.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###