[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - September 17, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 17 20:59:52 EDT 2006

With only a few weeks left until Election Day, our re-election campaign is
in full swing. Thank you so much to those of you who have already signed up
to help us win this very important election.

In the closing days of this campaign, your help is more important than ever.
There are a number of different ways that you can join the effort to win
this campaign and help make our state a better place, and I hope I can count
on you.

1) Volunteer at the campaign office or at events

2) Put up a yard sign in the First District

3) Put a bumper sticker on your vehicle

4) Be a Friendly Neighbor by sharing with your neighbors why you
support our campaign and reminding your neighbors to vote on Election Day

Please email info at bobbyjindal.com <mailto:info at bobbyjindal.com> to join our
team to help win this election! It will take a strong effort to lead our
state in the right direction, and I would be honored to have you join us in
our efforts.

Working for small businesses in Louisiana

I was honored to recently receive the endorsement of the National Federation
of Independent Business (NFIB), the leading group of small businesses in our
country. NFIB supports candidates who have pro-small-business voting
records, and are strong advocates for small-business owners.

What our state needs most right now are opportunities to rebuild and
rejuvenate small businesses in Louisiana. We need better prospects for our
family-run industries that are the backbone of our state. We need tax cuts
for hardworking Louisiana employees and businesses that can provide economic
opportunities in our communities throughout the state. I am committed to
this effort, and I will continue to be a vocal advocate for Louisiana small
businesses in Congress.

Pushing for our fair share for Louisiana

Earlier this week, I joined leaders from across Louisiana at the State
Capitol in Baton Rouge to talk about the progress being made on a bill I
introduced to give our state a fair share of offshore royalties produced off
the Louisiana coastline.

When I went to Washington, D.C. on Tuesday, my colleagues in the House and I
resumed talks with leaders in the U.S. Senate to negotiate what provisions
will make it into the final bill. The final bill will benefit our state,
but these critical negotiations will determine to what extent we benefit.

Negotiations in Congress are never easy, and I have pushed both the House
and Senate leaders to come to the table with an open mind. Some U.S.
Senators that previously talked of blocking these efforts have backed off of
their previous statements, and are now talking about the importance of
making sure we send a bill to the President. This is good news for
Louisiana, but we still have a lot of work ahead of us.

Remembering September 11th

Five years have gone by and yet it seems like only yesterday that the tragic
events that took place on September 11, 2001 were engrained into our minds.
I was working in Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2001, and remember what
it felt like to find out that some of my co-workers were on the planes that
crashed.

The goal of the terrorists was to transform Americans to live in fear. As a
nation, we must rise to this challenge and continue to honor those who lost
their lives that day and those who wear our uniform to defend our freedom
today.

I joined my colleagues in the House of Representatives this week to pass
legislation to celebrate the heroic Americans that risked, and, in many
cases, lost their lives to help their countrymen on September 11, 2001, and
also extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of the
victims. My thoughts and prayers will continue to go out to the families
that lost loved ones on that tragic day.

Protecting our borders

On Thursday, the House of Representatives voted to secure American borders
by passing legislation to require systematic surveillance of our land and
sea borders and the construction of 700 miles of double-layered fencing
along the border. My colleagues and I voted to pass the Secure Fence Act of
2006 (H.R. 6061) which will help protect our country against terrorism and
illegal immigration.

I am greatly concerned that without proper security along our borders,
biological or nuclear weapons could be smuggled into the United States
across unmanned portions of our border and used against our citizens. As the
only member from Louisiana on the Homeland Security Committee, I have made
protecting our country a priority, and will continue to work to ensure the
security of our nation.

As always, please feel free to contact my offices if we can be of assistance
to you.

Sincerely,
Bobby Jindal