[StBernard] Shipping channel is a cancer

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 26 00:33:53 EDT 2006

Re: "Shipping interests pushing for MR-GO," Metro, Sept. 22.

The Mississippi River Gulf Outlet has had more than 40 years to become an
economic engine for our region. Those hopes never materialized. To now
suggest that an economic windfall is almost at hand is pure speculation.

New Orleans, St. Bernard and southeast Louisiana cannot afford to speculate.
The MR-GO is a cancer that's eating away at our coast day in and out. It
must be closed now if our region is to survive.

Carlton Dufrechou

Lake Pontchartrain

Basin Foundation

Metairie