[StBernard] Governor's Column: The Power of Louisiana Voters to Protect the Coast

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 26 00:45:39 EDT 2006

The Power of Louisiana Voters to Protect the Coast
A Column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

On Saturday, September 30, Louisiana voters have the opportunity to consider changes to the Louisiana constitution which, I believe, will further protect and restore our fragile coast. These changes for our state and future generations will make our communities safer, better protect our unique and bountiful natural resources, and promote productive economic development that helps define our great state.

I know Louisiana's people want to make wise and informed decisions when they vote, and I am grateful for this opportunity to provide them with information on proposed constitutional amendments supported by me and passed by the legislature because I believe these amendments are in our state's very best interest. This week, I'll focus on Amendment Nos. 3 and 4. As I did when I covered the first two amendments, I ask that you consider your role in helping save! and protect our coast and coastal communities by giving thoughtful consideration to Amendments 1 through 4.

Amendment No. 3
Consolidates Orleans Region Levee Districts

This amendment consolidates levee districts in the Orleans region and ensures that they are accountable to a greater authority whose oversight includes all levee districts in south Louisiana.

For the first time in our state's history, there will be true oversight over all levee district activities. The consolidated levee districts will report to the Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority who will ensure greater accountability. Those districts in the Pontchartrain Basin will be required to develop a coordinated protection system since storm impacts to the basin are shared by all parishes around the basin.

Membership of the levee district boards will include engineers and professionals and the districts will be exclusively focused on flood protection responsibilities. This is a key step in ensuring the safety and protection of our communities.

Constitutional Amendment No. 3 is designed to take important steps to ensure the safety and protection of our communities who depend on our levee system. It is also focused on government efficiency and accountability.

Amendment No. 4
Compensates Landowners Fairly

Constitutional Amendment No. 4 brings Louisiana law up to date with the rest of the nation.

If land must be taken for necessary hurricane protection or a coastal restoration project, this amendment provides a fair, efficient and more expedient process for the transaction.

Even more importantly, it ensures that landowners are compensated fairly - they would receive "fair market value" - if their land must be purchased for these important protection and restoration projects.

"Fair market value" is a term we can all understand. It is also the term used by other states throughout the country. But most important, this term eliminates confusion, enables important protection projects to move forward, and assures landowners they will be compensated fairly.

Together, we have the opportunity to move Louisiana giant steps forward on our long term journey toward strong coastal restoration and hurricane protection. Please go to the polls on September 30 and give the "four for our coast" your thoughtful consideration.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org