[StBernard] N.O. planning districts

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 26 01:40:15 EDT 2006

Was anyone surprised that the N.O. planning districts, i.e. neighborhood
groups, had similar items at the top of their "planning wish list"? Without
hiring meeting planners, architects, urban planners, etc.
I think we can also agree that our residents, irregardless of where you live
in St. Bernard, want to see the following restored asap everywhere

working street lights
medians that are re-landscaped, grass cut, edged, free of debris of any
kind, and no illegal signs
restore all street name signs
restore all traffic signs including school zones, stop signs, etc.
pave all pot holes
repair all caved-in streets
fix broken water mains that are running water into the streets
repair/replace broken and missing utility poles, light poles, etc
repair and upgrade all parks and playgrounds
convert acres of blighted properties that aren't rebuilding their churches
and schools into passive parks
and trails
repair all utilities and public infrastructure
rebuild our public facilities-schools, library, etc.

We can come up with a list in 24 hours on this forum that took city
neighborhoods many weekends to reach the same conclusions, but without the
hours of frustration gathering around tables and writing the same things
down over and over again.

That being said, the real effort we all need to concentrate on in the
coming months are issues like zoning laws, parish ordinances regarding
green space, appearance of properties, landscaping requirements, commercial
signage, where we allow multi-family residential, maximum density in
residential areas (how many are too many people?), etc. That's what we
should save our time and energy for as we recover. The obvious stuff doesn't
have to be debated? Ever met someone who said they like pot holes and broken
street lights? DAH?

ddk