[StBernard] Stake your life on safe MR-GO?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 28 21:02:50 EDT 2006

Re: "Shipping interests pushing for MR-GO," Page 1, Sept. 22.

Here we go again. Business interests along France Road are pushing for the
reopening of the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet before families in St.
Bernard and Orleans parishes are even finished burying their dead. I will
not dignify such an insane notion with an argument. Instead, I'll make a
wager with the businesspeople pushing to keep the MR-GO open.

I'll go along with the proposal that the MR-GO can be managed properly with
water control structures, and spend the hundreds of millions of taxpayer
dollars it will take for the project. But they have to agree that during the
next Katrina-strength hurricane that comes through on the same track, they
must ride out the storm in a ground-level home near the Forty Canal in
Chalmette.

If these businesspeople are truly confident the MR-GO can be made safe for
St. Bernard and Orleans, shouldn't they be willing to wager their lives on
it?

If not, why should they expect the more than 100,000 people in St. Bernard
and Orleans parish to do so -- a second time?

John Scurich

Chalmette

Now in Lacombe