[StBernard] St. Bernard Area Job Openings, Manufacturing/Construction Imput, Job Fair, Business Expo, Training Grants, and MORE.....

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 28 21:14:21 EDT 2006

Hello, St. Bernard Businesses!

This is Shane, from your local Career Center (formerly your Job Center)
- here is some event information that you may use! The St. Bernard Career
Center is part of our "First Planning District" (which is comprised of St.
Bernard, St. Tammany, and Plaquemines Parish), so some of the events, listed
below, may be in any of these communities.

#1 We currently have FEW St. Bernard job openings on our LAWORKS.net
website, which is very unusual. If you are currently recruiting, at your
local business, now would an IDEAL time to post on our website! As always,
if "websites" are not your cup of tea, please e-mail a complete job
description to me, and I will post them for you!

#2 There are two "focus groups", coming up, next week, in regards to the
current labor shortages. Please see the information, below!

(MANUFACTURING) You are invited to participate in a small employer focus
group, conducted by Greater New Orleans, Inc. to help determine solutions
for addressing the shortage of qualified shipbuilder and manufacturer
workers in the New Orleans region.

As you know, since Hurricane Katrina there has been a tremendous need for
skilled workers. We are working in colleges, government and community
organizations that have resources to support, prepare and train people for
our local work force. The employer focus group will assist us in developing
appropriate marketing, recruitment, training and placement strategies to
address the hiring needs of the shipbuilding industry employers such as you.

The focus group will be held on October 4, 2006, from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30
a.m. at GNO, Inc. offices, 365 Canal Street, Suite 2300. Parking is
available in the Canal Place garage. Please call Lisa Tomlin at
504-527-6931, for more information!

(CONSTRUCTION) You are invited to participate in a small employer focus
group, conducted by Greater New Orleans, Inc., to help determine solutions
for addressing the shortage of qualified construction workers in the New
Orleans region.

As you know, since Hurricane Katrina there has been a
tremendous need for skilled workers. We are working in partnership with
colleges, government and community organizations that have resources to
support, prepare and train people for our local work force.
The employer focus group will assist us in developing appropriate marketing,
recruitment, training and placement strategies to address
the hiring needs of the construction industry employers such as you.

The focus group will be held on October 3, 2006, from 8:30
p.m. to 10:30 a.m. at GNO, Inc. Offices, 365 Canal Street, Suite 2300.
Parking is available in the Canal Place garage. Please call Lisa Tomlin for
more information!

If you can participate in either of these events, please contact
504-527-6931.

#3 Job Fair - (no charge) - October 10th - Castine Center - Mandeville,
Louisiana - Sponsored by Louisiana Works (West and East St. Tammany Career
Centers) - from 9am until 12 noon. For registration information, contact me
(ASAP)!

#4 Business Expo - November 14th - Slidell City Auditorium - Slidell,
Louisiana - Sponsored by the Slidell Chamber of Commerce, and Louisiana
Works. Hours are 3pm to 8pm! The First Planning District (St. Bernard, St.
Tammany and Plaquemines Parish) "MOBILE ONE-STOP" will be there, for job
seekers in our area!!!!

#5 If your community organization is sponsoring a "labor-related" event,
and you would like me to share this information with our local community,
you can contact us, and we would be glad to assist you!

#6 On-The-Job Training Grants may be available for local businesses. If
you have a well-paying career opportunity, in a career that requires lots of
training, this grant program may be for you. If you have any questions
about this grant, please call our (temporary) St. Bernard Job Center
location, at (504) 278-4261. Mrs. Cindy Graf is our On-The-Job Training
Coordinator, and she would be glad to assist you!

Thank you for your time, and for using YOUR local Career Centers!

Shane Boucher
Business Services
Louisiana Works/Business and Career Solutions