[StBernard] Governor, LRA Board Expand Road Home Options for Seniors

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 13 08:03:58 EDT 2006

Thank God! Our seniors should have never had to face a penalty for this.
What is still sad is those who chose to move to other states to be closer to
their children, will still face a penalty.

JLY

Governor, LRA Board of Directors Expand Road Home Options for
Seniors

Board also approves resolution to provide rate relief for Entergy
New Orleans customers

GRAY, La. (October 12, 2006) - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
and the Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) board of directors announced
today that homeowners 65 years of age or older will be exempt from a
financial penalty, should they decide not to repair their home or buy a new
house with their Road Home grant.

"Today we announced a major policy change to benefit our senior
citizens participating in our program," said Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco. "Those 65 or older will not be penalized for choosing not to rebuild
or buy a new home. We saw that our senior citizens were making different
choices - moving from their own homes to assisted living facilities or
moving in with their children. Because they are at a different point in
their lives, rebuilding and homeownership may not be the best choices for
all seniors."

The Road Home homeowner assistance program was designed to encourage
families to remain in Louisiana and reinvest in their communities.
Therefore, homeowners choosing to leave the state, or remain as a renter not
reinvesting in property, are subject to a 40% reduction in potential
compensation.

Based on feedback from the Road Home pilot program, it was decided
that elderly homeowners should not experience such a penalty. Many
applicants aged 65 or older are facing unique challenges and currently
living with their children or entering assisted living facilities.