[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - October 15, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 15 22:21:34 EDT 2006

Dear friends,

With just a few weeks left until Election Day, our campaign is really
gearing up for a battle. We are working around the clock to reach voters,
and we are taking nothing for granted.

I was honored to join Washington Parish leaders Friday in Franklinton as
they gathered at a rally to show their support for our campaign. It means so
much to have individuals from every corner of the First District offer their
support to us as we head into these last few weeks of the campaign.

<http://www.lukeletlow.com/jindal/images/wash_parish.jpg>

In addition, we have launched television commercials to ensure that we reach
as many voters as possible before Election Day. In case you missed the ads
on television, you can view them by clicking here: Jindal Campaign
television ad <http://www.lukeletlow.com/jindal/10.15.06_AD.htm>

We are working to win over each and every voter in the district, but there
is still a lot of work to be done before Election Day, and we need your help
to ensure we reach voters before they go to the polls on November 7! Please
email info at bobbyjindal.com or call 504-274-0080 to find out how you can make
a real difference for Louisiana.

Protecting Louisiana ports

On Friday, the President signed into law a very important bill that is
crucial to Louisiana. I worked with my colleagues in Congress to pass the
SAFE Port Act of 2006, and I was glad to see this important legislation
signed into law.

This bill will help tighten security at ports in our nation, increase cargo
security, and defend our country from the threat of nuclear attack.
Louisiana is home to some of the largest ports in the country that serve as
a gateway to the rest of the nation. It is critical that we increase the
security at these ports to ensure the safety of both our country and the
residents of Louisiana.

Within this bill, we added an important provision to ensure that ports that
deal with energy, like Port Fourchon and the Louisiana Offshore Oil
Platform, have access to future homeland security grants based on their
critical status as economic interests for our country. The Department of
Homeland Security needs to recognize the important role Louisiana ports play
as part of the energy infrastructure in the U.S., and provide these ports
with the funding necessary to protect the energy supply in our country.

As the only member from Louisiana on the House Homeland Security Committee,
I have made protecting our country and our ports a top priority. There is
still more work to be done, and I will continue to work to ensure our nation
is able to prevent an attack on our ports.

Ensuring security and safety at schools

In recent weeks, there have been a number of tragic shootings at schools
throughout the country. As the father of three young children, it pains me
each time I read about one of these attacks. We have to do more to prevent
this type of awful violence.

Recently, the House of Representatives passed legislation to address this
serious issue. My colleagues and I passed the Student and Teacher Safety Act
of 2006, a bill that will help in our efforts to keep drugs, guns and
violence out of schools in our country.

Teachers need a secure environment in order to be effective when reaching
out to students. I am committed to creating a safe and secure environment
for our children, and I will continue to work to address this issue.

Enjoying football in Louisiana

I had a great time watching two dynamic high school football teams battle it
out on the Northshore Friday night. There really is nothing like a community
coming together in Louisiana to enjoy a family-friendly pastime, and relish
in a little bit of parish rivalry!

And because you can never get enough football in Louisiana, I enjoyed
watching the LSU vs. Kentucky game on Saturday in Tiger Stadium. Geaux
Tigers!

As always, please feel free to contact my offices if we can be of any
assistance to you!

Sincerely,

Bobby