[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish condemns its only hospital

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 8 22:08:39 EST 2006

I agree with the decision to tear down Chalmette Medical Center, but
question what is going on with other commercial buildings in the parish
where nothing notable has occurred. We especially need to concentrate on
businesses (and homes) along St. Bernard Highway, Judge Perez Drive, and
along Genie Street. I haven't seen much demoliton activity lately, nor any
visable adherence to the regulations to maintain yards, gut homes, etc.
Isn't it above time for the parish to remove debris from these properties
and bill the owners? At night you can drive down the street and see rats
running from these "abandoned" properties. This doesn't help put returning
residents at ease. Poison needs to distributed in these abandoned homes to
try and get a handle on the "rodent situation".

John