[StBernard] A special Veteran's Day message from Governor Blanco

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 10 22:46:48 EST 2006

A special Veteran's Day message from Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

The people of Louisiana will always appreciate and honor our veterans, not only some 400,000 here in our state but millions more nationwide. Their military service and sacrifice help ensure a grateful America's freedom and liberty.

We rely on the patriotism and military service of our veterans and active military. Their virtues are strong and present today, just as much as when our country was first founded. Certainly, many of us remember grandparents who fought in World War I. Their hope was to end all wars, and to always keep America safe.

The next generation - and the next - was also called to serve. These brave men and women were delivered to battles halfway around the world and so far away from their communities and families - to Normandy, the Philippines, Korea, Viet Nam, Granada, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Not all returned home. They rest in an honored glory and challenge us silently to always be vigilant in the safeguard of our heritage.

In the last few years, many of our own Louisiana National Guard withstood trial and danger. They engaged efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, and then returned to do battle with disaster and devastation here at home. As Commander in Chief, I offer my deepest gratitude on behalf of our state for their unselfish service - first, to all American citizens in our fight to protect our country; and second, to the people of Louisiana in our hour of greatest need during this country's worst natural disaster.

Louisiana's legacy has always been love of God, country and family. Our communities speak loudly of this - through churches, schools, community centers, ball parks and VFW halls. These gathering places allow us to work and play hard, enjoy ourselves and one another. We worship on Sundays. From far and wide, we gather for the holidays, because these special times remind us all what's really important - what life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are really all about. I cannot imagine another way because there is great love for these American ideals and in them, we all find purpose and value.

This legacy of love includes a willingness to fight if necessary, for what we hold dear. In protecting these worthy ideals, Louisiana men and women give so much of themseles as we remain one nation under God with liberty and justice for all.

Veterans deserve our thanks. I hope we all can find occasion to offer it, not just on the one day set aside for such things, but at every opportunity. Veterans secure the intangible treasures we too often take for granted, and I believe the men and women who wear this badge of courage reflect a spirit inside us all who yearn always to be free.

On Veterans Day 2006, may God bless all the veterans of our country, and especially, may God bless the veterans of Louisiana.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org