[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - November 12, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 13 00:56:37 EST 2006

November 12, 2006

Dear friends,

Pushing a bipartisan effort to secure energy royalties for Louisiana

On Monday, Congress will go back to work for the first time following the
midterm elections. There will be a small window of opportunity to pass
crucial legislation before the end of this year, and leadership in both the
House and the Senate have said that energy legislation is a priority bill to
get done before we adjourn for the year. New incoming committee chairmen
voted against this energy legislation earlier this year, so it is crucial
that we get a bill passed now.

As many of you know, an energy bill I introduced has already passed the
House of Representatives, and a similar, but less comprehensive bill, has
passed the U.S. Senate. Now, the House and the Senate need to agree on a
final bill so that we can send it to the President for his signature.

Regardless of which party controls Congress, giving Louisiana a fair share
of offshore energy royalties has to be a priority. My effort to secure
passage of crucial energy legislation is about more than partisan battles in
Washington, D.C. This is about the future of Louisiana. It is about giving
our state an opportunity to restore our wetlands, and increase our hurricane
and flood protection.

More than anything, this energy legislation is about giving Louisiana a fair
share of energy royalties produced off our coastline.

I have made this legislation a priority in my first term in Congress, and I
will keep fighting to ensure passage of an energy bill to help Louisiana.
U.S. Senator David Vitter and I sent a letter earlier this week to
Congressional Leadership urging them to take up an energy bill this year.
The overall bill is too important to be defeated because of partisan battles
over small provisions in the legislation, and I will continue to work with
my colleagues in both parties to ensure a bill gets passed.

Handling the state surplus

Soon, our state legislators will go back to Baton Rouge to decide how to
spend an $827 million surplus that was not budgeted for this year.

Recently, the Alexandria Town Talk wrote an editorial calling on state
officials to wisely use this surplus to reduce the amount of business and
individual taxes that Louisiana residents pay.

I could not agree more. This is not the time for pork projects in each
district of our state legislators. Now is the time for our state to become
more fiscally responsible.

The Town Talk said, An equally practical but far more visionary list would
start with reducing the state's personal income tax and cutting certain
business taxes. That is the right way to grow the state's economy - by
encouraging people to invest here.

For too long, our state has taxed anything and everything possible,
effectively hindering our economic development. This has to change. We can
court out-of-state businesses and overseas companies all we want, but until
we create an environment where businesses can succeed, we will continue to
lose out to other states who understand the true meaning of a
business-friendly environment.

State government cannot create jobs or increase wages. But it can create an
environment in which businesses can thrive. And when businesses succeed,
families throughout Louisiana succeed. I hope our state legislators will
look out for the best interests of our state and our residents, and use at
least some of this extra funding to lower the tax burden in our state.

You can read the entire editorial by the Town Talk by clicking here
<http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/OPINION/6111
00306&SearchID=73262734147445&GID=5zjvT/9b58kn5M9mdKGducWGRSY/nCHj2wmkBtl4Mw
M=> .

Honoring our veterans

This weekend, our country celebrated Veterans Day and honored the men and
women who have served our country selflessly. I believe we must ensure that
our veterans are regarded with appreciation and respect, not just on
Veterans Day, but every day.

That is why I have supported legislation like the bill to prevent protestors
from disrupting the funerals of our brave soldiers.

These brave men and women have served our country on the frontlines, and
have risked their lives to ensure we can continue to enjoy the freedoms and
liberties that we sometimes take for granted. Our veterans have served our
country with honor, and I have worked hard in Congress to ensure that our
country honors their efforts. I will continue to be a vocal advocate for our
veterans, troops, and their families who have sacrificed so much for our
nation.

I hope every American will take a minute to thank all of those who have
served our country.

Traveling Louisiana

One of the most enjoyable parts about representing Louisiana in Congress is
getting the opportunity to meet residents from all over Louisiana and talk
to them about the issues that matter most.

Recently, I had the chance to stop by the Westbank Rotary Club for lunch. I
told the Rotary Club about how little common sense is used in Washington,
D.C. How people in Washington are more concerned with taking credit than
with actually accomplishing anything. How grown men and women will fight
with each other to get a better position in a photo. And how important it is
to move beyond those types of childish battles, so that we can do what we
were elected to do; serve our constituents. I told the Westbank Rotary Club
that I will continue to fight to bring more common sense to Washington.

While I was there, I had the opportunity to meet a wonderful group of women
who also double as wonderful chefs for the Rotary Club luncheons. I enjoyed
having a chance to visit with them, and they all gave me a hard time about
whether or not I had cleaned out the cluttered garage that my wife had
mentioned in one of our recent television ads.

Before I left, a wonderful woman named Ms. Helen Galloway gave me a cookbook
with 60 years worth of cooking secrets, and I know we are looking forward to
trying out some of those great recipes at home! Thanks again to the Rotary
Club for the wonderful hospitality!

Have a great weekend and as always, please feel free to contact my offices
if we can be of any assistance to you!

Sincerely,
Bobby