[StBernard] Weekly Update - November 18, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 18 22:56:09 EST 2006

Dear friends,

I really appreciate the outpouring of support that I have gotten following
my email earlier this week to let you know that I want to run for governor
next year. Thousands of people have responded encouraging us to run. People
from all over Louisiana have contributed financially to show their support.
And 1,348 people have signed up as of this morning to volunteer! It means a
lot to me to know that so many friends and supporters from throughout the
state feel as strongly as I do that our state needs strong leadership now
more than ever.

I will keep working over the next few months to ensure that we can build
enough support, and I hope I can count on you to join us in our efforts. We
cannot do it alone and need your help. Creating the Louisiana of our dreams
will require statewide support from Shreveport to Grand Isle. To be part of
the team working for a better Louisiana, please click here
<http://www.bobbyjindal.com/volunteer.php> .

And thank you again for your support!

Working to secure offshore royalties for Louisiana

This week, I received assurances from House Leadership that voting on an
offshore royalty bill before Congress adjourns for the year is a top
priority. In addition, Donald Powell, who is heading up the Louisiana
recovery effort for the White House, has committed the support of the
Administration for making sure this bill gets done soon.

I have stressed to both Congressional Leadership and the Administration that
this legislation is crucial to Louisiana and must get passed and signed into
law as soon as possible. We cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
I am glad that the House Leadership understands the importance of this bill,
and the urgency of getting a vote scheduled for this legislation.

Delaying this bill until the next Congress would be devastating because many
of the new incoming committee chairmen are adamantly opposed to royalty
sharing with Louisiana. Our opportunity to get this bill done is now, and I
will continue to work to make this happen.

The Road Home should be paved with good intentions

More than a year after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated our state,
tens of thousands of families are still trying to piece back together their
lives. In Congress, my colleagues and I have allocated more than $100
billion to this effort to assist our state with the recovery and rebuilding
process.

Yet, if you look around South Louisiana, it becomes blatantly obvious that
the money is still not getting to the people who need it most. I wanted to
share with you an editorial that was written this week regarding the failure
of the state bureaucracy in actually assisting Louisiana residents who want
to rebuild and return home.

The Times-Picayune writes, Beleaguered homeowners who need help to rebuild
their flooded homes or who want to sell out and start over elsewhere are
stuck waiting for long-promised grant money; It would be a travesty if
people give up on rebuilding simply because they cannot wait any longer. And
it would be a shame if any homeowner is shorted money because a grant
counselor or home inspector does not understand the program rules. The Road
Home is a hopeful name for a grant program, but it needs more than a
cheerful title to get people back where they want to be.

To read the entire editorial, click here
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/editorials/index.ssf?/base/news-3/116339991621
4170.xml&coll=1> . We cannot allow the same bureaucracy and red tape that
hindered the relief effort to hold up the rebuilding process.

I hope you have a great weekend and as always, please feel free to contact
my offices if we can be of any assistance to you!

Sincerely,
Bobby