[StBernard] StBernard] sue's lra

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 20 23:22:43 EST 2006

Gaby, Yes it seems to mean they will not accept the post Katrina appraisal.
I have had my LRA meeting and the lady told me they will accept the
appraisal only if done within the year before Katrina. If you don't have
that they will send an LRA inspector out to your house to look at your house

and appraise the pre Katrina value. They will allow $130 per square foot to

rebuild but if the pre Katrina value is less than the $130 per square foot,
they will use the lesser amount of the two to value your house. So this is
not going to help a lot of people cause the values they are using are so
low. They do offer an affordable loan if your income is below a certain
amount and dependant on how many people you have in your household. The max

amount of the loan is $75,000 and if you stay in the house for five years,
either rebuild or relocate in LA, the loan turns into a grant and does not
have to be repaid. I went to my meeting on Nov. 9 and they said it would
take about 8 weeks to get my award letter. I don't think I will get enough
help, but I had to try. I don't know if they will let people appeal a low
ball value. They said they do not count extra upgrades in a home like
granite counter tops or hardwood floors, they only value the house with
standard regular contractor grade materials, just enough to get you into
something livable.

Laurie