[StBernard] EDITORIAL: Hitting road for industry

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 20 23:33:08 EST 2006

EDITORIAL: Hitting the road for industry

Periodically, the press office publishes editorials and columns that feature Governor Blanco's work in various areas.

The Advocate: Opinion: Hitting the road for industry
Published November 19, 2006

At 22,000 miles, Gov. Kathleen Blanco's trip around the world was a huge investment of time and energy. But we believe it is worth it, and commend her for going to Asia and the Middle East in pursuit of new job opportunities for our state.

It was a grueling trip that included visits to Asia's commercial capitals - Tokyo, Shanghai and Taipei - as well as Kuwait, where she courted the Kuwaiti government. The Middle Eastern ally of the United States wants to build a refinery in this country, and Blanco is certainly to be credited for making a personal pitch for that investment to come to Louisiana.

"This would be the first new refinery built in the United States for 30 years," she noted.

The governor deserves commendation for making this effort, even if that particular prospect does not pan out. The Asia trip is intended to "pave the way for future investments in Louisiana," as she said upon her return.

Her meetings included visits with major employers and investors already in Louisiana, including Formosa Plastics in Taiwan. That company recently announced a $100 million investment in its Baton Rouge facilities.

Not since Gov. Buddy Roemer courted Asian investors has Louisiana had a governor willing to invest time like this in travel to Asia. "Personal relationships mean a great deal when you are talking about Asian opportunities," Blanco said.

She is right, and it is important that the governor be willing to visit face-to-face with decision-makers about new investments in Louisiana.

An under-appreciated part of the trip was its goal in bringing America's commercial representatives in Asia up to speed on the important tax benefits available for new investments in the hurricane-ravaged parts of the Gulf Coast.

"We've had difficulty in getting that message out," Michael Olivier, head of the state Department of Economic Development, said frankly. The governor called U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos Guiterrez and urged him to push the tax-credit benefits of Gulf Coast investment during his upcoming trip to Asia.

"This is a global economy, and Louisiana needs to be a major player in the global economy to survive and to thrive," Blanco said.

She is right about that, too, and we hope that her trip is fruitful for Louisiana in the years to come.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org