[StBernard] Transforming Juvenile Justice  A column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 30 23:24:46 EST 2006

Transforming Juvenile Justice
A column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Louisiana has come a mighty long way in juvenile justice reform. Today, we are recognized throughout the nation as a leader in this important area. I am proud that our reforms set young people firmly on the right track.

Through one of my very first acts as your governor, I established the Office of Youth Development and charged it with a critical mission - implement juvenile justice reform while promoting public safety. We began by separating juvenile offenders from adult corrections - and haven't stopped yet.

In a few short years, we corrected numerous findings and regained the confidence of the federal government in our juvenile justice system. By working together, we transformed Louisiana's juvenile justice system from a corrections model to one centered on treating and rehabilitating our youth.

Earlier this year a federal court dismissed a 1998 federal lawsuit against our state juvenile justice system because of our substantial improvements in youth safety and treatment and our progress toward implementing a revolutionary statewide reform strategy.

We implemented major reform initiatives and carefully designed community-based programs that support our goal to treat more kids in their home communities. Louisiana is creating a more balanced, fair, and effective system.

Our new and well-earned reputation would not be possible without many volunteers, professionals and dedicated state employees who worked tirelessly to help achieve these goals. I commend them for their service.

I recently stood with members of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to announce Louisiana as one of four states to participate in its five-year Models for Change initiative because of our reform efforts and our state's committed leadership at all levels.

Based on their work thus far, five judicial districts - including the parishes of Jefferson, Rapides, Calcasieu, Caddo, St. Mary, St. Martin and Iberia - will receive $7.5 million in funding over the next 5 years and technical support to continue these efforts by developing more local programming and services for young people who find themselves in trouble with the law.

Models for Change promotes a system holding young offenders accountable for their actions, provides rehabilitation, protects offenders from harm and increases life chances. It also manages the risk offenders pose to themselves and public safety. This initiative shares the core values of Louisiana's juvenile justice reform.

National recognition and financial support from key juvenile justice nonprofit groups certainly are strong indicators of Louisiana's progress, but our greatest accomplishments are found in the meaningful differences we are making in the lives of young people.

We will continue to make a serious investment in our young citizens. We will build both safe neighborhoods and new opportunities for our young people. We accept our obligation to teach, train and equip them with the skills and knowledge necessary for leading healthy, productive lives.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org