[StBernard] Governor Blanco makes personal calls to BCS bowl commissioners to urge LSU bid

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 30 23:49:51 EST 2006

Governor Blanco makes personal calls to BCS bowl commissioners to urge LSU bid

BATON ROUGE - Hoping to see the next Louisiana State University (LSU) touchdown take place in Pasadena or Miami, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco placed personal phone calls to members of the Rose and Orange Bowl committees today.

"Anyone who follows college football knows this has been a successful year for LSU and we Tiger fans are some of the most passionate fans in college sports," Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said. "Our team deserves a BCS (Bowl Championship Series) berth. I am reminding representatives of these bowls of the excitement our state shares for this team and everything we offer as LSU fans. An invitation to any of these bowls would be a major win for both LSU and the bowls themselves."

The Governor spoke with Rose Bowl President and CEO Paul Holman this afternoon about the Tigers' successful season and enthusiasm surrounding the possibility of the first Rose Bowl invitation in LSU history. Last month Gov. Blanco hosted Holman and Tournament of Roses Committee members at the Governor's Mansion in Baton Rouge during the group's visit to Louisiana. She also spoke directly with Orange Bowl President Eric Poms late this afternoon about the possibility of the Tigers heading to Miami.

The Tigers (10-2), are ranked number five in the BCS standings, the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls. A BCS berth hangs on the outcome of the Arkansas/Florida and Southern California/UCLA games Saturday. Bowl invitations are expected to be extended Sunday.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org