[StBernard] GOVERNOR BLANCO CALLS SPECIAL SESSION: Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 3 00:03:36 EST 2006

GOVERNOR BLANCO CALLS SPECIAL SESSION DECEMBER 8 - 17
Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

"Today I issued a call for a Special Session of the Louisiana Legislature to provide tax cuts for families and businesses, refund the LA Citizens Insurance assessments, and invest in improving our state's roads and its infrastructure. We also have an opportunity to pay better and fairer wages to law enforcement personnel, firefighters, educators and other public sector employees and should do so.

"The time to act is now. Calling a December session will allow us to deliver tax relief for the 2006 tax year, spare our homeowners from another LA Citizens assessment, and start road construction before costs further escalate.

"Insurance costs are rising, roads are crumbling, and families are working harder than ever before and many businesses are struggling to stay afloat. We need teachers, first responders, and other public servants to affect a strong recovery and to move our state forward. We have an unprecedented opportunity to solve some of these problems and we need to act quickly.

"Tuesday, the Revenue Estimating Conference will see what we have seen - because of a high level of economic activity our state is experiencing unprecedented economic growth. In order to foster continued prosperity, we must invest wisely. Of course, the greatest investment we can make is in our people.

"The one-time surplus is a direct result of being fiscally responsible and fostering economic development across our state. Let me be clear: we will invest this surplus strictly within the boundaries of our constitution.

"This unprecedented revenue allows us to give money back to the people of Louisiana in a targeted manner that will help families, spur our economy and continue to strengthen our businesses. I look forward to working with our lawmakers in this effort. Now is a critical time, and a moment of great opportunity. Louisiana must stand together as we build a future of hope and promise."

###

Click here to view the Governor's call.
<http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/DECEMBER%20SESSION.pdf>

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org