[StBernard] Weekly Update from Bobby - December 2, 2006

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 3 00:05:12 EST 2006

December 2, 2006

Dear friends,

Final push for our fair share

On Monday, the House of Representatives will go back into session for a
short time before adjourning again for Christmas break. During this short
period, it is crucial that the House of Representatives and the Senate work
together to agree on an energy bill that includes royalty sharing with
Louisiana.

I pressed Congressional leadership to make this happen, and in return, they
agreed to hold a vote this coming Tuesday on a crucial energy bill. Since I
was first elected to Congress, I have made this issue a top priority.

This is not about winning a legislative victory, and it is not about taking
credit in the media. This is about bringing Louisiana a fair share of the
revenue that is generated off our coast each and every day. For generations,
our state has provided the rest of the nation with the energy it needs. And
for generations, our state has borne the brunt of this production.

Something dramatic has to be done. This is not an issue that can afford to
be studied again, and a band-aid fix will not solve this problem.

Now is the time for a real solution. On Tuesday, Congress needs to act and
send this bill to the President to sign to bring funding to Louisiana to
address this very real problem.

The House passed my version of this bill back in June. And the Senate has
since passed a similar, but less comprehensive, version of this legislation.
As the author of the more comprehensive House bill, I felt it was important
for our state to start receiving our fair share of our own energy revenues,
and have thus been pushing leadership to accept this compromise bill. This
funding will allow our state to restore our wetlands, improve our hurricane
and flood protection, and fund important infrastructure projects.

I have talked to the White House, and the Administration agreed to sign this
bill as soon as it passes. There is still more to be done to support
Louisiana, but this is a good step forward. I will keep you updated as
Congress goes back into session and I keep fighting for our fair share.

Working to revive our state

Earlier this week, I was invited to join a group of governors from around
the country at their annual convention. I used this opportunity to talk
about Louisiana, and the challenges that we still face as we seek to revive
our economy and rebuild much of our state.

The tests we face in Louisiana are not unique to our state. South Carolina
is confronted with similar challenges in creating economic development. And
neighboring Mississippi faces many of the same battles in rebuilding from
the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

Yet, these states seem to be on a fast track while Louisiana lingers behind.
This has to change. I told the governors from around the country that I am
committed to this effort, and will continue to work to truly rebuild
Louisiana into a top notch state.

Enjoying the Louisiana outdoors

After a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with lots of family and in-laws, my
loving wife let me sneak off with a couple of friends to go duck hunting in
Southwest Louisiana this week. After a long year, it was great to have a
chance to spend some time outdoors, despite the extremely early morning
start!

We did not hit our limit for the day, but we were able to bag a few ducks,
so all in all, a good time.

I hope you have a great weekend and as always, please feel free to contact
my offices if we can be of any assistance to you!

Sincerely,

Bobby