[StBernard] We're Waiting too. Please don't forget about us!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Dec 6 20:15:50 EST 2006

Melissa,

First let me say that I recognize your situation as a difficult one and we
are certainly not trying to force anyone out of the parish.

Next, your insurance salesman is either misinformed or has not explained
your situation very well. The primary reason for the delay in adopting the
ADVISORY Base Flood Elevations is that the science used for the elevations
is based on questionable science and the levee certification/decertification
process. The lack of adoption of the ADVOSORY Base Flood Elevations has
absolutely no impact on the insurance premiums. The current FIRM is in
place and has not changed. When a new FIRM is proposed and the process of
scientific review is completed and the parish adopts a new FIRM then the
elevation officially changes- that is the point at which the parish will
either choose to be in compliance with the elevation requirements or not and
subsequently choose to participate in the Flood Insurance Program- No one
is advocating leaving the NFIP. Information that is included in the
scientific&n bsp;data will review the parish drainage, levees, etc. Just
prior to the storm nearly 4000 residents were being moved from an A zone
status to a B zone status. Adopting the ADVISORY Base Flood Elevation fast
forwards the process and establishes a new FIRM now, without the benefit of
the much needed science that is yet to be revealed- like the progresssion of
the levee protection system which continues to improve each month and the
MRGO issue. Keep in mind that when an adoption of the ADVISORY Base Flood
Elevations is done it changes the FIRM and to modify the FIRM to a less
restrictive elevation is very difficult.

We have asked that the ICC money be made available to those who voluntarily
elevate their homes from a compliant level to a more compliant level but
have been turned down to this point- I am hopeful that your insurance
salesman disclosed what savings you would receive with a home that was
additionally elevated. Although the savings do not equal the cost of
elevating the structure it does present a benefit.

As far as leaving the parish because of the ADVISORY Base Flood Elevations,
I would hope that we can find a way to offer another option but if you are
going to leave the parish, there may be an opportunity to relocate within
the parish instead of moving outside the parish. Certainly you have to do
what is best for your situation, that is understandable. Please understand
that we have to make decisions that best serves the parish as a whole and
the rules that we are playing by are not rules that we have created.

I will investigate the issue of the end of the year deadline- if you can
send me some information about that, especially if your insurance salesman
has given you a written notice of policy cancellation due to lack of permit.
This is interesting, because anyone who stuck in the middle of the LRA
process is going to miss this deadline. Sounds like the alarm has to be
sounded about this scare tactic.

Should the ADVISORY Base Flood Elevations be adopted, I do not see them
being adopted before the end of the year (2006). I will sponsor another
request to have voluntary elevations considered eligible, but would not
promise any different response.

It is difficult to be in a sitution that decisions directly help some and
not others. I would prefer it to be different. I do hope the timing of our
decisions eventually work out for you.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig