[StBernard] LRA Buy-Outs

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 7 21:50:19 EST 2006

Janet, what we had was a gem and although many realized it as a precious
commodity, others didn't until we lost it all. St. Bernard Parish had it
all: safety, sports, schools, you name it. It was indeed the proverbial
"best known secret" in a world of our own "care that time forgot". Although
we were behind somewhat on technology, most of us realize that we'd swap for
technology (and I feel I'm a technology freak) over what we have presently
and will for some time to come, perhaps. I'd gladly make a trade-off to turn
back the clock 2 yrs.

Unfortunatly, I cannot and we all knew St. Bernard took a 90 degree
right-turn or more because of Katrina. Whether it takes a 90 degree
left-turn back on track in the years/decades ahead will depend upon what's
left in St. Bernard Parish in terms of populace, demographic makeup of
citizens, attitudes, financial help and of course, leadership.

I don't feel that the current makeup of leadership is adequate for a
remarkable change that's needed to curtail depression and negative affects.
Economic recovery takes a grand infusion of green-backs, support of
business, education, infrastructure inprovements and in St. Bernard
"warm-bodies" to pay taxes and give support to the community.

LRA? So much negativity coming from those slighted. Hardly hear GOOD NEWS
from those who are "soaring" from delighted news.

Whether that happens, what the neighborhoods will become, etc. is yet to be
written. At this point, decade-slow improvements are in action. My mother
(if alive) would decry "it's a crying shame, darling!"

..It certainly is. And the crying is not over.

--jer--