[StBernard] LRA Buy-Outs

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 8 22:54:57 EST 2006

Gaby,
The one incentive NOT to tear down is, again, the LRA. Frankly,
many people do not trust them to get anything right. Many people believe
that if you house is gutted but still standing, you can prove to them your
square footage, attached garages, etc. I know some people who are disputing
whether they get "credit" for attached rooms, closed in and finished
garages, etc. (Some people have not yet even had the LRA inspector come out
and measure the house.) While it is not supposed to matter for LRA purposes
if your house is gone, there is a natural inclination by many people not to
tear down their house -- their "proof" of what they had -- until they have
resolved LRA issues. Perhaps it is easy for others to tell people not to
worry, go ahead and tear down, the LRA will give you full credit for
everything that you had, but it is hard for some to trust that will really
happen if the house is gone. Pictures are one thing, but for some, that
house is their safety net in what may be some drawn-out disputes with the
LRA over pre-storm value. Not necessarily logical, but I think that is
happening.

CK