[StBernard] Night Before Christmas, N.O. Style

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 21 20:10:12 EST 2006

Twas the night before Christmas, let me give you the scoop.
Not a creature was stirring, caus all fled the coop
No Gra -Ma in Lakeview, no Joe in Chalmette,
No Towanda on St. Claude, no one's heard from her yet.
No Bourgeois in Waveland, no Jacque in Grand Isle,
No Jean in Slidell, man that girl makes me smile.
The place it was emptied, by Katrina's great tide.
They all headed north, now they're spread far and wide.
As I sat there alone, I wondered out loud,
What Christmas would bring, without the usual crowd.
And I questioned how Santa would find all my friends,
Now they're gone cross the country from beginning to end.
So I sat at my desk, which was no more than a nook,
Cause all of my stuff, damn Katrina done took.
And I wrote me a letter, crafted with care,
Made my list for St. Nick, a New Orleans prayer.
I start, Pere Noel, you know times are hard,
And I guess fun and laughter, well they're not in my cards.
But I have a few favors to ask on this night,
And perhaps you can help, before morning's first light.
I ask for good weather, so all of these crews
Can give lights to the city, before this year's through.
Bring water and gas to all of the houses,
And to Rite-Aide, and Popeye's, and Frost Stop and Rouse's.
And for all of those businesses, once doing fine,
A shopper or two, and a "We're Open" sign.
And the schools sitting empty, now void of all noise,
A teacher or two and some girls and some boys.
For those who lost loved ones, I ask that they find
Some love in their hearts and some peace in their mind.
And for those who were lost who had no one to cry,
Family in heaven to sit by their side.
To the four legged creatures, and the ones who have wings,
A backyard to run in, a big cage with a swing.
For the people who found them, and fed them, I pray
That their own little companions never wander or stray.
For the young men and women who protected our streets,
Who gave ice and gave water, and something to eat.
May the heavens look down and see all that you've done.
And bless you and your families for lifetimes to come.
And as long as I'm asking these favors of you,
There is one more thing that I wish you would do.
In the Dome let the Saints win just one more game,
While these two words, New Orleans, are still in front of their name.
But mostly the reason I'm writing today,
Is for something we both know won't fit on your sleigh.
For all of the people who wander and roam,
For the New Orleans natives from Houston to Nome.
A place to come back to, with family and friends,
The knowledge that soon their long journey will end.
For all of those people in shelters and trailers,
A place to call home, oh, and no levee failures.
So when you head South, on your sleigh ride tonight
You may find very few people, and fewer bright lights.
But the spirit is here, sent back home from afar,
So shout, Merry Christmas New Orleans, wherever you are!