[StBernard] more inspiration

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 2 17:39:31 EST 2007

I recently saw this movie also. It was a movie that touched home.....my
husband's brother was on the Marshall track team at the time and the track
team members were also supposed to be on that plane. His brother was bumped
because some of the local politicians wanted to be on the flight. The
Huntington/Barboursville area was and still is very proud of their
university. There are many similarities to the tragedy and the strong sense
of togetherness of this West Virginia community and to the devotion of St.
Bernardians and what they have suffered and still suffer through. It took
foresight, faith, perseverence and hard work for them to see the fruits of
their labors---which was a labor of love, and it will also take the same for
St. Bernardians to fully recover and triumph. In strong agreement with
Deborah, I think it is an excellent inspirational movie for all to see.

As a side note, I went to a New Years Eve party at a neighbors home (I
currently live in Wisconsin). I was telling one of the other guests about
what St. Bernard is still suffering through and all the hard work still
ahead for the residents. She was amazed not only at the amount of
destruction I described, but she also had assumed things were in good shape
by now. No one hears anything about what is going on in the New Orleans
area anymore and they assume everything is back to normal. I always make
sure to let people know that much help is still needed and it will take many
more years to recover.

God Bless You and Happy New Year.

Michelle

If you're looking for a good movie for inspiration St. Bernardians,
I also
recommend WE ARE MARSHALL. It's the true story of a small college
town that
loses 75 people (city councilmen, football team, coaches, fans) in a
fatal
plane crash. While many in town thought the college should drop the
football program, others believed that the town needed to rebuild
the team
for it and the university to truly heal from the tragedy. Lots of
comparisons to what a community goes through after a loss. Since
it's a true
life story I can tell you that while the team didn't have a winning
record
throughout the 1970s, then went on to become NCAA champions and bowl
game
winners. Morale of the story is same as Rocky Balboa's words of
wisdom. By
weired coincidence, Witchita State had a similar tragedy (football
team goes
down in a plane crash) and their school choose to not bring back a
football
program, which many alumni regret to this day. -Happy New Year,
Deborah
Keller
P.S. Fr. Maestri go see this movie and reflect on it.