[StBernard] FINAL PREDICTION: Outgoing hurricane chief warns about 'big one'

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jan 7 00:18:02 EST 2007

***"Hurricane Katrina was nothing compared with The Big One yet to come."***

There's a few songs that come to mind: "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet", The
Worst That Could Happen", "Blowing in the Wind", Come Sail Away, Born to Be
Wild, (and yes, Lousisiana, They're Trying to Wash Us Away" is quite
overused), but many of us have an eerie feeling about impending disasters
(plane crashes, earthquakes, explosions, terrorism, etc.), the doom & gloom
complex that shadows our lives depressively.

There is no reason to believe that the "big one" has already come in the
guise of Katrina because we really haven't met the "worse case scenario" in
our lifetime. Armaggeddon is the ultimate, but Hell-on-Earth can be only
within our shortened lifespans, whether it be next year, the next or a
generation away. What happens is that a year goes by uneventful without a
disaster in our area, we lessen our vanguard and vigilence with the sense
that we'll make a terrific comeback and recovery. For now, the crying has
lessened (and yes, we should recover and regain our strength and composure,
although we'll never forget the misery each of us has endured), but good
common sense in rebuilding our lives and property should be in the
forefront. Be positive, but "remember like an elephant".

As was once quoted, "Don't spit on Superman's cape, because surely he will
stamp you out like a twirp for doing thusly".
Live and learn..build/rebuild safely. Where in the book of life does it say
we'll have a safe and happy one? I suppose we can say, "know your enemy--but
don't become your worst one."

--jer--