[StBernard] LRA cost me $24,000 & called to say "I was lucky."

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 16 22:31:28 EST 2007

Jane,

No one knows how the LRA is coming up with a final value - they won't reveal
their method. But by comparison, you can see how I came up with a value for
your home on the appraisal I did for you. You can see the comparable sales
I used in your immediate area to draw a conclusion of estimated value.

Likewise, let me compare your home to mine in Chalmette. I have (had) the
typical early 60's Tedesco home: barely 1,000 sq. ft. of living area, one
full bath, a 1/2 bath, 3 small bedrooms, single carport on a 60 foot by 90
foot lot. While my home was in very well kept condition, it was never
updated or modernized with current appliances and amenities. Still, I would
have been able to sell my home for right at $100,000 in the Summer of 2005.
Now, compare that to your home on a bigger lot where lots run higher per
square foot, it's a younger home, then add another 800 sq. ft. of living
area, plus your garage, extra baths, modern etc. etc. I'd say your home was
easily worth $75-80K more than mine, which is in sync with what I appraised
your home. Your July 2005 appraisal of $152K sounds conservative.

John