[StBernard] LRA cost me $24,000 & called to say "I was lucky."

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 17 23:17:22 EST 2007

Randy,

While I truly see your point, I still have to disagree. I am currently
unemployed, where I was employed full time with the State prior to the
storm, I also had a part-time job on weekends. I have lost my state job,
because I couldn't return- not by choice but because of my daughter's health
issues and mold. Insurance payments in no way will make up for the lost
research from my thesis- 2 years of work nor for the retirement I previously
had. My parents face similar situations. I didn't get paid right away, I
literally went to Boston and picketed my insurance company with my 9 month
old daughter in order to get paid. I have waited months for answers that are
still unanswered. The most important- how could oil and benzene only go
12-20 blocks when there was 8-13 ft of water in the whole parish? Now, I
know you are wondering how this is relevant, so I will explain. During the 5
yr anniversary of 9/11, the Discovery Channel showed that of the 7,000
rescue workers in and around the towers, over 6,500 all have multiple forms
of cancer believed to be caused by the benzene in the jetfuel. Now they were
exposed for a few days...It is in our soil, in the mortar of bricks, in the
playgrounds, school yards, etc. As we gutted our homes, how much did we get
on our skin and clothes and what will we face in 5 years because of it.
Explain how whatever insurance we received will help elevate the anxiety and
the waiting...God forbid we all develop the same problems as those rescue
workers. I also believe that there should be insurance reform, there should
be ONE premium that covers all issues and whatever the rate is, it is
period- None of this you have no wind or hail or flood, extra riders, etc.,
but I digress, I'm sorry.

I drove passed the Florida Ave. levee area daily on my way to UNO. ANY
moron (who was doing their job) should have known the levee was weak there.
They had just blown up and tore down the old Florida Ave bridge just about
2-4 months before Katrina. By the 17th street, they have been working on the
levees out there for the passed 5 years. All the breeches seemed to have
occurred where there was construction- which makes sense considering if a
truck drives by it vibrates the ground by a house. These levees were
weakened by the intense construction and heavy traffic going on around them.
There was water leakage and cracks long before Katrina, she just pushed a
little harder and made the cracks big A@! holes!!!!

To me, better off, I can't say that I am. I worry for neighbors, my
friends, and all the people in St. Bernard as we face an abyss of unknown.

Wendy