[StBernard] jd and pools

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jan 21 12:59:04 EST 2007

To JD, I based my comments on the many neighbors that I know for a fact have
appreciable assets and did not secure their pools until they or the owner
they sold to started to occupy the house, as well as those neighbors that
left St. Bernard and bought homes that could be seized should an accident
happen at the house/pool they left behind in St. Bernard. While I agree
that there are people who don't have much cash or real estate to lose in a
wrongful death lawsuit, garnishing wages for life is no idle threat when the
victims' family want to punish someone for creating an attractive nuisance.
But more importantly, do we have to have the first child die in an abandoned
pool to get owners to take responsibility? I was just hoping that the
possibility of losing their assets if they are denied liability insurance
on an abandoned property would be enough of a wake up call. ddk