[StBernard] Your LouisianaRebuilds.info Newsletter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 24 23:58:23 EST 2007

Lousiana Rebuilds <http://www.louisianarebuilds.info/>

LouisianaRebuilds.info <http://www.louisianarebuilds.info> is an
information web portal that is your central source for rebuilding and
planning information and links to resources both in Louisiana and around the
country.

Important Tax Information

Now is the time to get started on your taxes. Low-income residents can get
thousands of dollars back from the government, just for filing taxes. The
Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is extra money available if you are working
and you file a federal income tax return. Several organizations in the city
of New Orleans are offering free tax preparation assistance and help with
the EITC. Find out about these organizations, other available tax credits,
and important information about filing your taxes here
<http://www.louisianarebuilds.info/?q=node/1827> .

Public Safety

Find out about crime and how you can get involved in community meetings to
prevent crime in our Public Safety section.
<http://web01.louisianarebuilds.info/?q=publicsafety>

Public Input Needed on Regional Rebuilding Plans

<http://www.vision.louisianaspeaks.org/>

>From January 22nd through February 10th, the public will be able to weigh

in on scenarios that will shape a Regional Vision plan. The public will be
able to comment at www.louisianaspeaks.org, by mail with inserts that will
be in local newspapers, or by calling (888) 752-6205. Read more about
LouisianaSpeaks here. <http://www.louisianarebuilds.info/?q=node/1832>

Get Involved in Your Neighborhood

An important part of the Louisiana recovery process is neighborhood
involvement. Organizations such as the Neighborhoods Planning Network are
working hard to keep neighborhoods informed and to provide the resources
neighborhoods need to develop plans for their area. Check our Neighborhoods
section <http://www.louisianarebuilds.info/neighborhoods> to find your
neighborhood association and other important neighborhood information. If
your neighborhood organization is not listed, please let us know by emailing
us at comments at louisianarebuild.info.

Find Services and Recovery Updates Near your Home

With the New Orleans Community One Page Address Search you can find out
about services near your home as well as recovery progress in your area.
Type in your address to see information about nearby schools, hospitals,
crime reports, blighted housing, street repairs, and more. Click here
<http://www.louisianarebuilds.info/?q=node/1821> for more information.

Teacher Training Opportunity

Louisiana TeachNext is an innovative degree program at Delgado and Nunez
community colleges in New Orleans designed to attract talented individuals
looking for a flexible and cost-effective way to pursue a college degree and
begin the path toward becoming certified elementary teachers. Find out more
about this program and other job training opportunities in our job training
section <http://www.louisianarebuilds.info/jobtraining> .

Affordable Housing and Rental Assistance

Contact organizations that can help you find affordable housing listed in
our Renters section <http://www.louisianarebuilds.info/?q=renters> .

News Items

Governor Blanco launches Business Recovery Grant and Loan Program
<http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=2529>

Office of Governor Blanco
01/23/2007

Citizens say yes to Unified N.O. Plan
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1169367533226
560.xml&coll=1>
Times Picayune
01/22/2007

$239M property tax credit to offset insurance premium costs
<http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/uptotheminute.cfm?recid=8393&userID=0
&referer=dailyUpdate>
01/22/2007
New Orleans CityBusiness

Road Home seldom leading out of state
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1169191631221
540.xml&coll=1>
Times Picayune
01/19/2007

Featured Story

Louisianarebuilds.info <http://www.louisianarebuilds.info> is collecting
the personal stories of Louisianans who are rebuilding their lives, homes,
and communities. Whether you are searching for answers, need an outlet for
your own rebuilding experience, or you want to share lessons learned, please
share your story with the online community of LouisianaRebuilds.info.
<http://www.louisianarebuilds.info>

Here's a recent story from Karen of Gretna, LA:
We did not evacuate for Katrina because my dachshund went in to labor and we
had to assist in the delivery. My house is built with steel beam
construction and I did not fear the winds, just rising water. After the
storm passed the streets in our neighborhood were dry. Our roof took
projectiles from a near by radio tower and the next morning as I was
checking on our animals, I heard the ceilings falling down. Our family had
enough provision to take care of ourselves and the additional elderly and
handicapped folks that stayed in our neighborhood. The day after the storm
we went out looking for the possibility of ice. What we saw was horrifying.
We witnessed the looting of Walmart on Manhattan Blvd. when criminals stole
all the weapons. Every shop along they route that we traveled was being
broken into and looted.

Read More of Her Story by clicking here
<http://louisianarebuilds.grassroots.com/stories/?storyId=5853228> .

Share Your Story

Do you want to tell your story? Please, take a minute and share your story
with other Louisianans now.

Share Your Own Story
<http://louisianarebuilds.grassroots.com/shareyourstory/?lk=5430994-5430994-
0-24978-REBelJ24v6cVVZbk9Hixg1qRgpH3ePL1>

Read Other Stories
<http://louisianarebuilds.grassroots.com/stories/?lk=5430994-5430994-0-24978
-REBelJ24v6cVVZbk9Hixg1qRgpH3ePL1>

Visit the site LouisianaRebuilds.info <http://www.LouisianaRebuilds.info>
today and set a bookmark so that you won't miss any of our upcoming
announcements and rollouts. Don't forget to tell your friends