[StBernard] trailer give away

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 25 23:39:55 EST 2007

WWL tv did a story tonight about FEMA possibly giving away to non-profit
groups used
FEMA trailers. The story was about a Plaquemines Parish church seeking
approval from
Plaquemines Parish for a site and the pastor had 1,700 applicants lined up
should it go
thorough.

Having lived in a FEMA trailer for 6 months, I feel qualified to make these
statements.
These are not well built, long lasting, mobile homes. As clean and well kept
as we
maintained our trailer, the cabinet doors would often have the screws just
fall out
the hinges, while others we know had problems with leaks from rain, and
others
with plumbing.

No one should be given such a trailer as a permanent home. They are putting
these
people at great risk. What happens when these trailers just fall apart in a
few years and
thousands are left homeless (after LRA, FEMA, SBA closes up shop years after
Katrina).

If they weren't suitable for a permanent residence due to public safety and
health before Katrina,
why now? It's a bad temporary, rash fix that will only prolong these
people's misfortune and
distract them and government from a permanent, sustainable solution. Of
course for FEMA it's
a great public relations opportunity to DONATE TO CHARITY and get rid of
these substandard trailers
fast. It's one step up from living in a car.

I hope SBPGovt. doesn't ever consider allowing a permanent village of these
tin cans on wheels.

The pastor seemed focused on bringing people back home to Plaquemines. To
me, people are far
better off in a real dwelling no matter where they have to go to live in
one, than put into a FEMA trailer just
because it's in the parish where they lived before Aug 2005. ddk