[StBernard] In Unanimous Vote, Plaquemines Parish Adopts Flood Elevation Guidelines

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 26 23:01:44 EST 2007

" What's wrong with this picture??? Why is St. Bernard parish not moving
forward with the adoption of this guideline??? Are we that rich that we
don't want money for a better comback or are we that stupid? Why not just
come out and say we don't want our people back. "

** Khaki, many of us feel your pain ;)

What's happening is that lines are cut across the "food chain" from the
peons (parish citizens/Displaced citizens of St. Bernard, upwards to the
local government (St. Bernard Parish) to the State of Louisiana, to the
Federal Government.

The citizens complain that we got "buggy whipped" by the upper echelon
(parish) who complains (justifiably or unjustifably) to the State
(justifiably or unjustifiably), that the money's not there/support not
there, who then in turn complains that the Feds have royally screwed the
governor because she's the wrong color, sex, political party, wrong rung on
the politial ladder (only state vs the higher national government), etc. who
is fixated by the FEDS who claim that we gave you money, so what you do with
it is your business (as long as you hold yourself accountable for spending
the taxpayer's money by wisely checking that each dollar that goes out
escapes fraud.

Then it turns around again in a downward spiral aimed at the state, who
wants the parish to be patient while things are sorted out, money is
watchdogged very carefully (and may we add the LRA is far from Superman
speed) in it's operations of dishing Road Home program money at 12 closings
per week) and Funding towards the parish for infrastructure, roads,
buildings, etc. (as government believes in having the money in their hands
before allocation), etc.

Now, it withholds services, recreation, road and repairs, etc. toward the
peons deeply offending and hindering any expediency towards total, lasting
recovery, while quickly making up citizens minds to move on (many
prematurely) by necessity, etc.

Point: Bureaucracy is a catalyst towards dissatisfaction and decision making
expediency - (whether hasty or wrong choices). At each strata of the food
chain I mentioned, there is anger as a variable. Each strata believes itself
righteous, helpful, and God-Driven even though the end result is demonized.
We stop voting for those who hurt us. If we find someone in this mess who
has not (and everyone in some way has had to make unpopular, decisions), we
factor this into future decisions.

--jer--

"When will the next council meeting be held at night so residents can attend
if they want to? --"
OK Parish President and Council Members! What's wrong with this picture???

..Why is St. Bernard parish not moving forward with the adoption of this
guideline??? Are we that rich that we don't want money for a better comback
or are we that stupid? Why not just come out and say we don't want our
people back. But that's right - with each passing day that this is not
adopted we send a very clear message. My only hope is that come election
time all parish residents remember just how we were WELCOMED BACK with open
arms (and open pockets) and let our few returning residents make some really
much needed changes in our leadership. JUST VENTING! I wish this could
have put before a vote of all residents. This decision is clearly one of
the top reasons why many, many parish residents have not returned. As I
understand it if the Parish doesn't adopt these guidelines, insurance will
continue to escalate at a much higher rate than normal (if there is such a
thing as normal???). --KHAKI