[StBernard] Governor Blanco appoints final member to Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East Board o

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 30 21:59:21 EST 2007

Governor Blanco appoints final member to Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East Board of Commissioners

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco made her final appointment to the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East Board of Commissioners today. Ricardo Steven Pineda, a civil engineer with flood protection experience, will serve as the eleventh member on the board.

"I am pleased to welcome another outstanding professional to this levee board," Governor Blanco said. "Mr. Pineda has expertise in the area of flood protection upon which I have asked the new levee board to focus its attention. I know he will serve us well."

After inquiring with the Louisiana Attorney General's office, Gov. Blanco agreed with the nominating committee's suggestion to appoint an out-of-state public employee to serve.

Pineda, a Registered Civil Engineer in California and Certified Flood Manager, received his Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from Santa Clara University and his Master of Science in Civil Engineering from Cali! fornia State University-Sacramento. He has twenty-six years of experience in flood protection including water resources engineering, focusing on flood control projects, flood project maintenance, flood operations and floodplain management.

Mr. Pineda's appointment completes the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East Board. His term will end on July 1, 2011.

In order to fund their operations, the Legislature has approved the Governor's request of $250,000 for each board to cover operating expenses for the remainder of the fiscal year.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org