[StBernard] Governor Blanco issues statement on Louisiana's Loan Forgiveness prohibition

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 30 22:33:25 EST 2007

Governor Blanco issues statement on Louisiana's Loan Forgiveness prohibition

Governor Blanco today issued the following statement in support of U.S. House and U.S. Senate legislation to repeal Louisiana's Loan Forgiveness prohibition.

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux commended action by the U.S. House and U.S. Senate today to repeal legislation prohibiting loan forgiveness for the state.

Statement by Governor Blanco:

"It's time this wrong is righted. It is unacceptable that the state of Louisiana was punished with the early declaration that prohibited us from seeking loan forgiveness. I have been working with our delegation to repeal this harmful provision since it was passed and I thank our delegation for taking this next step forward. This effort will relieve our communities of an unfair burden and allow them to focus on recovery. When this legislation is passed, Louisiana will finally have been given at least one measure of equal treatment experienced by other states that have suffered major disasters."

Governor Blanco sent a letter to House Leadership in support of this legislation today and is urging Senators to support it as well. She will hold meetings with the new Congressional Leadership next week in Washington.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org