[StBernard] Maestri stepping down as superintendent

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 30 22:41:17 EST 2007

Story: Maestri to step down as Catholic Schools superintendent
<http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl013007tpmaestri.35c19801.html>
________________________________

Maestri to step down as Catholic Schools superintendent

05:29 PM CST on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

WWLTV.com
Father William Maestri, who has served as the superintendent of Catholic
Schools for the New Orleans Archdiocese for the past three years has
announced his intention to step down from the position effective at the end
of the current school year.

WWL-TV
Father William Maestri

Maestri said he originally took the position when the system found itself
needing a superintendent and that he always intended to be a temporary
superintendent.

"Katrina required that I stay on longer than originally planned," said
Maestri in a statement. "Our schools have now entered a new phase of
recovery and we now have both the opportunity and the time to secure the
services of a new superintendent."

Maestri oversaw the reopening of schools after Katrina and the Archdiocese
took in hundreds of children who had not been previously enrolled in
Catholic schools. The temporary fixes after Katrina included having
co-educational school at previously single-sex school systems.

Maestri has also been in charge of several decisions that drew plenty of
scrutiny, including the planned move of Holy Cross school to Gentilly, the
combining of two girls high schools on the west bank, the move of Archbishop
Hannan High to the Northshore and the recent decision to have Catholic
schools accept students who are on a waiting list for spots in Recovery
District Schools. Maestri also serves as the spokesman for the New Orleans
Archdiocese, among other duties.