[StBernard] Sign the Petition

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 31 23:28:33 EST 2007

January 31, 2007

Did you know?

Inferior flood protection is the reason cited by Allstate Insurance when
they pulled out of Louisiana.

Lack of faith in our flood protection is a top reason cited by businesses as
they leave metro New Orleans one by one.

Inadquate flood protection is the primary reason cited by hospitals and
colleges as they do not reopen.

You can change this! Sign the petition <http://www.levees.org/campaigns/>
and demand safe levees.

The 8-29 Commission to investigate the failure of the federal levees will
provide us with the real answers and will restore faith in New Orleans'
flood protection. This investigation will be independent and bipartisan; so
no one will be looking for votes or will have a stake in the results. The
study will look at the levees and also our disappearing coastline and
whether our level of protection should be better than a 1 in 100 year storm.

The 8-29 Commission would be the first time in history that the federal
government took a comprehensive look at the best way to protect Louisiana
from flooding.

Sign the petition <http://www.levees.org/campaigns/> and join these elected
officials and organizations that support it.

New Orleans City Council
St. Bernard Parish Council
League of Women Voters New Orleans
New Orleans CityBusiness Newspaper
Robert Bea, Phd, Chair U Cal / National Science Foundation Levee Team
Ivor Van Heerden, Louisiana State University Hurricane Center
Carlton Dufrechou, Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation
Oliver Houck, Professor of Law, Tulane University
US Senator Mary Landrieu D-LA
US Congressman Bobby Jindal R-LA
US Congressman Zach Wamp, R-TN
and soon many many more

The New Orleans flood and the non-response in the days that followed is a
federal embarrassment. There are many with the power and resources to act
who have decided it's more convenient if New Orleans just crawled into a
corner and expired - ideally out of the media spotlight. Don't let this
happen!

Sign the petition! <http://www.levees.org/campaigns/>

Other news:

Town Hall Meeting hosted by Levees.Org

Thursday February 8, 2007
7-8:30pm
Nunez Community College
3710 Paris Road
Chalmette, Louisiana

Guest speaker Ivor Van Heerden, Deputy Director of LSU Hurricane Center will
explain the factors that created the flooding in the south Louisiana.
Purpose of meeting: to educate citizens about the flooding and to ask
citizen support for the 8-29 Commission - a new unbiased investigation into
the failure of the federal levees on August 29, 2005.

Sign the petition! <http://www.levees.org/campaigns/>

Thank you!
Sandy Rosenthal
www.levees.org <http://www.levees.org/>