[StBernard] LRA and oil spill

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 1 00:37:52 EST 2007

Strange, I've heard a while back in the media about the Oil spill awards
being separately treated awards, treated as a separate disaster event so
that it would not be an issue.

As I was in the Oil spill area, I had gotten my final option letter award
choice (Pick an option), returned it and was notified a week later that all
is a go and I should hear from them in about 30 days for closing. I made
them aware in September at my appointment, that I was in the Murphy Oil
Spill area, they copied my documentation and I even brought this to the
attention of an appointment Supervisor who at the time said they didn't know
the legality, or a decision made, etc in September. Still, they went ahead
with the processing.

Granted, the ORIGINAL "yellow" award never reached me, so after a month that
it was posted on the site that an award letter was generated and to be sent
out, I became concerned of it's non-arrival. Hence, I called up the Benefits
Election area and they mailed a Photocopy (non-colored of course) to me
which I had completed with my decision (non-disclosed) and thus, those
responsible for clearing it towards closing called. I now await a call for a
closing appointment to discuss things for the final time. I do hope it's as
positive as they make it out to be. I, as one will discuss the details of
the closing so that others can understand what to expect, but I also would
like to hear from a St. Bernardian/former resident if one goes to closing
before myself. Thanks.

Sincerely,

-jer-

How many times have we read and heard officials saying that the Murphy oil
spill had no impact to LRA awards? I have gone to the LRA appt for myself
and my parents and my in-law. At none of these three appts were we asked if
we had settled with Murphy or not (we had and could have provided the
settlement documents if it
mattered) On FOX 8 tonight they reported that the state says that since the
class action lawsuit is being settled, the LRA can now send the finalized
award letters to all those in the class action and original oil spill
areas.(scream now) So does this mean that someone thought it mattered enough
to not release our award letters for the homes east of Paris Road between
the river and the 40 arpent canal? Why? And if they could explain why,
then all they had to do is tell those who settled with Murphy to bring proof
of claim. I don't know of anyone in this area who has received their award
letter, do you? ddk