[StBernard] Hurricane Katrina by Tim Carter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 4 12:44:25 EST 2007

Hurricane Katrina
By Tim Carter
C Tim Carter 1993-2007

On New Years Day of 2007 my youngest daughter Kelly and I packed ourselves
and some luggage into our car and headed off to New Orleans, LA to attend
the Sugar Bowl game. We left a day early so we could tour New Orleans and
the surrounding countryside to see Hurricane Katrina damage. It never
crossed my mind that my 14-year-old daughter would utter one simple sentence
in a moment of frustration that would forever change how I look at my own
home and all the people, pets and things that are inside it.

Sixteen months had past since the monster storm had plundered New Orleans
and points east, so surely cleanup and rebuilding efforts had healed the
scars from Hurricane Katrina. Well, you know what happens when you assume
something. On the second day of our drive, we followed Interstate Routes 59
and 10 from the north towards the Big Easy. Just after crossing the border
between Mississippi and Louisiana, signs of Katrina were everywhere.

Still many miles from the French Quarter, twisted and snapped trees, empty
storefronts, piles of debris and drapes fluttering out of open windows was
the "Welcome to New Orleans" sign that whispered to Kelly and I we had
arrived on a desecrated part of the Gulf Coast. How, after these many
months, could all of this damage still be visible? Why wasn't it being
cleaned up? Where were all of the workers trying to breathe life back into
the outer edges of this historic city? The answers would come the next day.

"You want to see a hard-hit area, go to Lakeview. It's off Interstate 10
just before the airport. Drive down any street," said Bill Kingman, a friend
of mine who acted as our guide on the first day of our arrival. Bill, a
resident of New Orleans for the past 22 years, was in Iraq when Katrina hit,
and his home missed being flooded by just inches. But he had many friends
and neighbors who had lost everything. Bill told us all sorts of tales about
the storm as we walked through the seemingly untouched French Quarter.

Dawn broke with a steely gray on our second day in New Orleans. Since the
Sugar Bowl game kickoff was not until 7:30 p.m., Kelly and I had the better
part of a day to tour the city, and do some shopping. "Let's go take some
Hurricane Katrina pictures, " I said after eating breakfast. Kelly sighed,
shrugged her shoulders and murmured, "Okay." No doubt I am pretty out of
touch with the top ten things a 14-year-old girl wants to do while visiting
New Orleans.

The suburb of Lakeview was less than a ten-minute drive from our hotel on
the edge of the French Quarter. Getting off the expressway ramp, I
immediately sensed something was wrong. There was some traffic on the
Clearview Parkway, but the streets that branched off this main thoroughfare
were deserted.

For Sale signs stood guard over house after house that had windows missing,
doors open and the spray-painted tattoos left by the search teams looking
for survivors or those less fortunate. Each damaged house also bore the
indelible black ring marking the high-water line as well as secondary rings
recording the slow recession of the murky brew as it was pumped back to the
sea.

After taking several Hurricane Katrina photos of this aftermath, I was
pulled by the invisible force of curiosity to where the wicked beast had
made landfall. I needed to see exactly where the center of the vortex
smashed into the coast. Kelly and I pointed the car to the east and set our
sights on Waveland, MS.

An hour or so later we entered the town limits of Waveland, MS, a small
hamlet on US Route 90. There was a small sign that pointed to the Waveland
Beach. Perfect. That's exactly where I wanted to go. Kelly and I turned down
the small road and couldn't see the beach at all. No wonder, we were well
over a mile or more away.

But as Kelly and I creeped south towards the water's edge, we did see
concrete slabs at the end of deserted driveways on either side of this small
road. Fifty and sixty-foot-tall pine trees with trunks as large as 55-gallon
drums were snapped in two like dried twigs.

A house used to sit upon the stilts at ground zero here in Waveland, MS. The
water's edge in normal times is just 100 feet away from the former house.
During the height of the storm, the house was under 20 feet of broiling
water. PHOTO CREDIT: Tim Carter

Finally we got to the beach. It was eerily quiet. The water was as smooth as
a piece of glass. Looking down the beach, the remnants of piers could be
seen jutting up from the water. There was not one house to be seen, only the
naked wooden piers that used to keep the elevated houses above a seething
storm surge.

But they were not tall enough this time. Hurricane Katrina produced a storm
surge in excess of 20 feet that pureed the houses like fruit in a blender.
The swirling waters, driven by the fierce, howling winds, raped everything
in their path as they rushed inland almost a mile and a quarter.

In a voice tainted with a stew of emotions including, but not limited to,
hunger, boredom, frustration, sarcasm and indifference not uncommon in a
14-year-old, Kelly said, "Why did we drive an hour to see nothing?"
Precisely. No more powerful words could have been spoken at that instant in
time.

There was nothing left. Waveland, MS had pulled into Mother Nature's toll
booth, and it was time for the town to pay up. Then it hit me. We all are
subject to the forces of nature no matter where we live. It can be
earthquakes in Memphis, Los Angeles or San Francisco. Tornados in the
heartland of our great nation. Flooding from storms at any place and any
time of year. Wildfires, volcanic eruptions, avalanches, windstorms - pick
your poison - they all can wipe out you, your possessions and most
importantly your loved ones with virtually no warning.

My New Year's resolution has now been modified. I am going to do more to
prepare for any event that might threaten my home and family. Things of
value need to be put in the safest places. Things of great value must be
packed up or be ready to be scooped up as one leaves the house. I urge you
to do the same. Survey your own home and develop a plan that will allow you
to start over with the least amount of pain if you are the victim of a
disaster. You can become a statistic and your life will be forever changed.

Author's Notes:

>From time to time I get profound comments from people who read my work. Here

are some comments from Leo in Seattle, WA. The storm he refers to is the
vicious windstorm that raked the Seattle area in December of 2006. It will