[StBernard] Fines

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 8 19:04:49 EST 2007

Khaki,

The council passed an ordinance a long time ago regarding the grass cutting
and houses being secure. People were supposed to have this done by August
29, 2006, so, in my opinion this is not abrupt at all. The only difference
is that now people are going to be fined for not doing what they should have
been doing all along - having respect for their property, their neighbors
and their community. I think the line about waiting to see if the parish
adopts the FEMA guidelines is bull. It's fine if you want to do that, but
some people don't have a choice but to repair their homes and live in them
and we shouldn't be punished by our neighbors lack of caring for their
property.

Tanya
Craig:

Please clarify something that I half heard on the TV last night.
Homes not
having grass cut will be fined $100.00 per day starting this Friday,
February 9th. Also, something was said about not having
doors/windows. Is
the same fine applied? OK - I'm all in favor of the fine but am
objecting
to it being done so abruptly. Also you mentioned on TV last night
that
owners would not be notified until the $1,000 mark has been reached.
Isn't
that a outrageous??? Why wait until the fine is that high? Why not
lower
it. Punishing homeowners by hitting them where their wallet is is
bad
enough, we all have unexpected expenses due to Katrina and now the
our
parish representatives are going to hit us again.

The main reason for NOT doing doors sooner is all due to parish
residents
waiting to see if adoption of FEMA guidelines would be adopted.
Funny, I
don't remember residents imposing a fine against our council
representatives.

Has any ordinance been passed about homeowners who have left their
property
and left abandoned, filled swimming pools being assessed the same
fine? Now
let me get this right - a fine for grass that's too high - hum - no
loss of
life there.

No fine for dangerous unprotected swimming pools??? Defintely a
potential
threat to children of our parish. Why not impose this fine if you
must
impose one.

I hope this is addressed again at the next council meeting to be
held at
night rather than addressing this in the day time when most parish
residents
are at work - trying to make an honest living so we can have money
in case
the council wants to impose some fine or another!!!!!

I can't wait to join - as you called it- the disfunctional council
members
at their next meeting. Maybe I should bring my wallet to that
meeting in
case some fine is proposed. That way I'll be way ahead of the
game!!!

Khaki