[StBernard] Fines

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 14 00:09:18 EST 2007

Sure, and I'm a firm believer in "heal now--pay later". They'll be plenty
fault-finding, ticket giving, etc. after citizens have healed a bit by means
of what they feel would eventually happen to them and their properties. With
uncertainty, the order of the day, we need to make sure that individuals get
their share of healing before they're pounced upon by fines, etc.

It also appears that fines weren't levied as strongly in the pre-
Kkatrina days as they are now when one's excuse for getting past the
uncertainly of their lives is as good as any during pre-Katrina. If we smack
people when they're down, who is going to pick them up again? Have mercy on
the poor souls that wish it were otherwise and are not just being
"mean-spirited and ornery. Most care, but at some point not knowing what
will happen to them after this disaster takes precedent to anything else on
the agenda. God bless the "beasts" and His Chldren...

--jer--

Jer,

good foder for rabal rousing, but I believe off point, but by the way
government has been fined and cited for violations from EPA and other
regulatory agencies in the past. these ordinances are not new- other than
the fine amendment and even fines for non-compliance has been in place in
the past but levied differently. This sounds too much like a rather
defeatist approach- if he is not doing the right thing then I am not going
to either- the dichotomy of anarchy or dictatorship doesn't fit for me on
either end.

I could certainly make as many arguments against enforcing anything at this
point and in the short run make people feel much better as a band aid and in
the long run contribute to a lack of permanent recovery for the parish. I
believe it is one of the situations in life that the whole is greater than
the sum of its parts.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig